Saturday, March 16, 2013

This not the last day, we are still apart of the experiment.

Technically Friday is the last day of the food desert, but for Paul Quinn College students it's still an actual  harsh reality we face as well as the community. Friday I believe was the best day because we all sat down and had a great discussion over dinner on how food deserts affect people, especially low income families. My main concern is how can we continue to reach the community with this problem because it is imperative that we do. I feel the city would rather build anything else other than a local grocery store that will benefit us all. Doing this experiment has opened my eyes to things that weren't on my mind as much as it should have, how can you live off of $4.32 a day,but I soon found out that there is a strong correlation between the amount of money you have and how healthy you are. The less money you have, the more you buy fast food or unhealthy food that isn't good for your body, but its cheaper. The things we have shown and proven this week are not just theory, however ideas and things that we have proven to be true. To conclude my session I feel you can live off $4.32 a day, but the real question is how long and how healthy will you be?

1 comment:

  1. Y'all are still going to be here in the middle of this, yes. So what can be done? The city can't build a grocery store- cities don't do that...so who can? Who might be willing to make that investment? Also, from what I learned, fast food is not cheaper. I made my meals go further when I was willing to prepare a meal from individual ingredients. Just a thought :)

    Thank you for opening up and sharing your thoughts this week. I enjoyed spending time with you!

    ReplyDelete