Thursday, March 14, 2013

It is already Day 4?

So, it does not feel like we have been here 4 days at all. Time has flown by, I believe largely in part to the warmth that I was welcomed with. So, to all of the Paul Quinn Friends I now have, THANK YOU! I have had a truly amazing time so far, and am sure that tomorrow will be no different.
To start this post off, I am going to tell you what I have eaten today:
1) A blueberry poptart
2) 6 Chicken nuggets from Wendy's.
3) Macaroni and cheese.
So, while I have not had the most nutritious meals today, I am not hungry, nor was I ever unusually hungry.
We began our day by walking to get breakfast- of the 4 of us, everyone else went and got donuts, and I bought some poptarts from the convenience store. From there, we joined up with the rest of the group, and began walking to the landfill.  It was a pretty good distance away, but still much, much closer than a grocery store. Like, I think that it would have taken us three times as long to get to a grocery store. That is ridiculous.  Reese told us about the proposals that were made to expand the landfill to collect the waste from all of Dallas, no longer just the areas surrounding this landfill.  Paul Quinn had students organize a movement called "We are not Trash" to counter the movements that were occurring- pointing out that they had been asking for a grocery store in that area for so long and they would not do anything, but seemingly jumped right on the landfill enlargement idea. As we walked into the landfill ( we didn't make it too far- we discovered that we needed permission from the head of that area to be able to look around and ask questions) I immediately noticed how far away the trucks seemed to be taking the trash, which made me be able to put into perspective just how large this place was, and they wanted to make it even bigger.  One thing that really surprised me ( and I didn't complain about) was the fact that we could not really smell anything- I was later told that you wouldn't really be able to smell it until they started burning the trash, and that wouldn't happen until late in the night. 
After that, we walked back to the farm, and met the new peacocks on the farm!  It was definitely an experience getting them out, and then watching them both escape the perimeter of the farm (not to worry, they were both safely corralled back in!) and us trying to feed them! 
So, the morning was relatively relaxing, compared to the mornings we have had this week!
Upon leaving the farm, Reese, Naya, Jess, David, and I started our way to Fiesta to buy food for the next two days with our $8.64. We waited 30 minutes for the bus to come, and then once arriving at the train station, had to wait about 20 more minutes for that the leave again. So by the time we actually made it to Fiesta, it had been over an hour.  Once in Fiesta, I actually didn't have as hard of a time deciding what to get as I thought I would. I bought: Bananas, Macaroni and cheese, milk, butter, green beans, and turkey. Now I am not totally sure what I am going to do with that odd assortment, but it will be enough for the next two days!  And, the best part is, all of that only cost me $3.47. So, I had some left over money, and by this point, it was close to 3, and I had still not eaten lunch, and didn't know how long it would take to get back and make food, so we stopped at Wendy's and I got some chicken nuggets, and still have a few dollars to spare!  So, so far, so good in the food front!  
Anyways, today has been a good day.  I got to experience public transportation again, and I actually figured out the buses and trains that I will need to take beginning this summer, so that was super helpful! I am really looking forward to being home, but I am also so ready to see what the last day of this project has in store for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment