Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Story from Day One......

So, Day One is officially over. And, I am tired. And Sunburned. Both of those things, I do not like. However, I would not change that if I had the power too.  Because if I learn absolutely nothing else from this, I will know that I CAN live off of $21.60 and work and 8 hour shift on a farm- that if worst came to worst, I can do it. However, after one day, I've already learned much more.  I've met some awesome new people who have taken us (David and I) in, and treated us as if we were normally here. I have now experienced public transportation for the first time, and discovered that it really isn't so bad- which is quite comforting since it will be my main mode of transportation beginning this summer! However, I also quickly learned that carrying groceries for 15 people on the bus and train is nearly impossible- we made it work, but please, don't make us do it again!  At Fiesta, I quickly began to look at how much I buy that I don't need.  I can spend nearly $100 dollars every two to three weeks, and only for myself.  How do families survive on $4.32 a day. That isn't even enough to get substance from McDonald's, much less an actual grocery establishment.  The question that continues to float through my head, is why people don't realize what is going on. I mean, I hardly had any idea how bad it actually was- I have looked at the statistics and talked to people about it, but I still did not know the extent to which it could effect me. I mean, it literally took us over 3 hours to get to Fiesta, shop, and get back to Paul Quinn. That is ridiculous. I now know what it is actually like to be in a food desert, and honestly cannot believe that more people are not actively fighting to reverse the issue. I know, that from now on, it will be an issue that I work harder to support and fight for.  No one should have to travel as far as we did to get food.
However, after the shopping fiasco and getting it all back, dinner was good.  We made spaghetti, and everyone enjoyed it from what I could tell.  We were all happy to see food, definitely.  As the week goes forward, I will be interested to see how meals go since we will be outside all day, working our hardest, and what issues we might face in that aspect.
So after all my ramblings, I will get to a point: After day one, things are good. Things are being learned. Experiences are being had. And, while I am missing my home and ability to have a lazy week, I wouldn't trade this opportunity away.

No comments:

Post a Comment