Sunday, March 17, 2013

Looking Back...

So, I am finally sitting down to do this final post.  I have been avoiding this post simply because I do not know the answers. And it seems, that in my life, I have developed the worst possible coping mechanism for that- I simply carry on as if the issue does not exist.
So, a food desert.  I do not even know where to begin.  It is ridiculous. I think I have written that statement too often this week, but I feel that it is the truth.  Why do people have to deal with that?  Shouldn't there be some unwritten rule that says people can have access to healthy food with ease?  No human should have to ride a bus for 3 hours to buy an apple that isn't even as favorable as it should be. However, I don't know how to fix it. I think that many people may realize the issue, but have similar coping mechanisms to me, and will simply avoid that issue because it is messy.  But I am willing to dive in and figure it out.  I really do think that there is a profit to be made, but I also know very little about financial things, so the profit might actually be slim to none.  But what about the general  principal of giving people the things they need even if it isn't to your biggest benefit? I realize that is not high on many CEO's list, but  it should be.  Like I said before, I don't really know how to fix it, as you can clearly tell from my ramblings about being good people, but I am more than willing to learn.  I think that could be the key- make the people making these decisions learn about the issue, experience the issue, and then rethink their ideas.  I would bet that if someone who was clearly against bringing a grocery store to the area was to experience a week of WIC wages and public transpiration, they would at least consider the other side a little more.
The week itself, was not horrible, but something I would never willing do again.  $4.32 can stretch a lot father than you think.  I think that if people receiving WIC or other federal installments were informed on ways to conservatively shop and prepare food healthily, it would be much more manageable, but it is not something readily taught.  The biggest issue I faced was finding food, not affording the food.  Eating healthy is something that everyone wants to be able to do- at the church food pantry, people were asking and thanking us for the extra vegetables.  It is something that they would otherwise not be able to obtain, but something that they want.
I honestly do not know where I am going with any of these ramblings other than what ever we do, it needs to be done as a whole, and that nothing will be noticed if we don't draw attention to it.  ( I realize that I didn't really cover either of those topics in the previous parts, but I had intended to but wasn't quite sure how to tie them in...)
So, to conclude my posts, Thank You, PQC for the opportunity that I had.   Thank you for accepting me, and including me.  I never felt like the outsider that I was, and most importantly, you all taught me very valuable lessons- most of which involving the value of team work and companionship.  If for no other reason, I am glad that I was able to come on this trip so I could meet all of you!  I wish  you all the best moving forward, and if I can ever help in the progression of ending this food desert, please let me know, because I want it to be gone as much as the next person. Bye for now, I am sure we will cross paths sometime soon!
Codie Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment