Friday, March 15, 2013

Homeward Bound, Day Five...

So, I write this post as I sit in an empty dorm room, waiting for 5 p.m. to roll around so I can begin my journey home. I am SO ready to see familiar faces and places for a few days!
However, this week has literally been wonderful. I have had my thought provoked and influenced, and learned much more than I had planned to. I am thankful that I was blessed with this opportunity, even though it was lots of work. This week, I learned to stretch a dollar. If you would have told me last week that I would be able to survive "comfortably" on $4.32 a day, I would have laughed you out of the room. There is no way I could have done that if I didn't have to. I guess, the right word is would. I proved that I can, just something that I do not enjoy. I will admit that throughout this journey, never once was I famished or deprived of food, and while not extremely healthy, I also avoided fast food to the best of my ability. It is possible. When you are able to ride a bus. And a train. And still walk a while. And carry all of your food. Alone. In the middle of the day. So, pretty much unless you are doing this as a single adult, at 2 pm, it isn't feasible.  Yet somehow, people still can manage. I give them  my utmost respect for that, it is not easy by any means.
Eyeopening is still the best way I can describe any of this. The scary part about that to me is that I have heavily studied the issues of food deserts, and was still blown away by how it actually is.  To walk a mile ( or 15) in someone else's shoes makes all the difference. The craziest part is- no one knows about it. Some people within the community don't even realize that they live in a food desert.  It makes me wonder how much injustice goes on in the world, without people knowing, because it is what is known. I still wonder why no one will invest their time and money. It could be a prosperous place to put a grocery store. You'd have no competition....
Today, after working on the farm and finishing up all of the shelving for the greenhouse, Vina, Jess, Reese and I went to make some deliveries. They were all located in Uptown or West Village, and all incredibly nice places. We went, and met the people that the food from the Farm is sold too, (even an ACU Alum!) and I was very happy to see everyone very interested in ways that they could come and help out at the farm too. They were all really happy to be getting the produce that was grown locally, and ultimately serves a greater good.
Overall, this has been an incredibly memorable week.  I have met awesome people who do awesome work, and have learned many valuable things.  I know what to stand up for, and more over, how to look for things worth time and money- that is a lesson that I learned shopping for food, but can be applied to SO much more than just that situation! I am incredibly thankful that this is not a permanent lifestyle for me, but it makes me want to work so much harder to bring opportunity to communities who need them.
I am so thankful for this opportunity, for these new friends, and new awareness. I am beyond blessed to be at a university that cares about issues like this, and push us to be the change in the world.
So, thank you (again). Now, I am fixing to be on my way, and I think there is still a follow up post that I am supposed to do, so I will be officially signing off soon. Till Then!

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing that no one knows about this issue! I was surprised by the lady at the restaurant who was asking all the questions about food deserts. So, you really think a grocery store would be successful?

    I enjoyed rooming with you! Hope the food desert conversation continues!

    ReplyDelete