Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 4 David Wall

They removed the food that we had attained so far because our experience wasn't realistic enough.  The theory was that others would not pool their resources in order to do better, so we should not be able to either.  I got a sausage kolache for a dollar this morning, which was alright.  I was just glad it was cheap.  We next walked to the landfill, which for me wasn't too big of a deal.  I'd been to them before, and trash has to go somewhere.  I get that they didn't want it expanded, but if a landfill is really that big of a deal you should change the way you deal with trash. What really bothers me about that landfill is all of the water pollution that must come from it.  That landfill is right on the trinity.  Water is precious and is not something that should just have trash mixed in with it.  It's too fragile of an environment to be abusing like that.

Since we had to restart it took until about one just to get the money.  Next we all split up, and we all got food from different places.  Me, Cody, Reese, and Jess all went to the grocery store.  Everyone else went and got food from other places.  I bought five packs of ramen, two cans of green beens, a hamburger from Wendy's, one large can of ranch style beans, one thing a mac and cheese, a can of chicken and rice, and a loaf of bread.  I recognized immediately that almost none of that is good for me.  I would try and eat healthy, but I eat a lot.  I would much rather be full than eat healthier options.  Tonight I ate the ranch style beans, half of the loaf of bread, one thing of ramen, and the chicken and rice.  I am full of food, most of which is probably sodium.  I was not completely wise on how I spent my money either.  I have a little too much on pasta, which could have very easily gone to vegetables, like Jess and Cody did.  But that is the past and I'll have to live with it.  I still have mac and cheese, four things of ramen, and a can of green beans for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, so I will be perfectly fine.  The biggest issue still is that it takes almost three hours to get food.  Contrary to my initial ideas, the food stamp money is plenty to eat.  You just have to be smart with what you buy.  You wont be able to buy organics or t-bone steaks, but I never ate those things growing up, and I had wonderful nutrition.  I'm starting to believe that education is the biggest issue with American poverty.  I'll have to learn much before I can place a dot anywhere, but I am thinking now that is where it will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment